William Ernest Cullen Curran (usually known as "Ernie") was born at 4 Church Street, Portadown. He was the son of James Lyons and Jane (nee. MAXWELL) CURRAN.
The Birth Certificate includes the name "Cullen" in the given names. This name was the surname of the minister who christened him in Thomas Street Methodist Church, Portadown. As his older brother, George has "Northridge" as a christian name, again the name of the minister who did the christening, it would appear that this is the origin of the name. The birth was registered on 29-Jul-1910 at Portadown. (#1)
He was baptised in Thomas Street Methodist Church on 29th September 1910. (#2)
In the census of 1911 he was living at 61 Church Street with his parents, James and Jane Curran, and older brother, George. (#3)
Left school in his early teens. Worked for Ulster Weaving Company in Portadown. He also studied part-time in the late 1920s & early 1930s at the Portadown Technical School, from which he aquired many certificates etc. in book-keeping commerce, shorthand and typing. These certificates still exist.
William Ernest married Elizabeth (Lila) FERRIS in Agnes Street Presbyterian Church (Shankill Parish) Belfast on 14th August 1946. (#4)
He worked for the GPO for the rest of his life as an engineer, in charge of the Portadown depot of Post Office Telephones.
He died on 25th May 1957, and was buried in Drumcree Cemetery, Portadown.
The death certificate lists the cause of death as "Probably Coronary Thrombosis. No medical attendent".
|Last updated 16th January 2010||Person Reference No: 5|